Baijnath is a place that resounds with myths, legends and innumerable stories it is located at a distance of l9 kilometres from Kausani and 26 kilometres from Bageshwar. it is a small delicate town lying across a flat valley called the Garur valley of Katyur and is adorned with verdant, rich hills and beautiful terraced fields. it was once upon a time the capital of the Katyuri dynasty of kings and then known as Kartikyapura. The construction of the Baijnath Temple complex was undertaken by the Katyuri kings. The bank of the River Gomti reflects the glorious past of this period and is famous for its group of temples. The 13th century AD. ancient temples of Shiva, Ganesh, Parvati, Chandika, Kuber, Surya and Brahma can be found here. The temple is famous for its ancient and magnificent stone idol of goddess Parvati. The Kotkimai Temple is about eight kilometres from Baijnath on the Gwaldam road. On the way to this temple, one can also visit Pandusthal that lies nearby. Two local merchants Ahuka and Manyuka built the famous Baijnath Temple that has been continuously worshipped at, ever since its construction in 1204 AD. There are two long inscriptions in the porch of the temple indicating that a temple of Shiva existed on the spot even before the present one was constructed. The present Baijnath Temple is an ideal example of the early medieval North Indian temple architecture known as Nagara style of temples.
Baijnath is known for its exquisitely carved and sculptured temples built by the Katyuri kings, which are considered as some of the finest creations of the Western Himalayas.